Saturday, June 9, 2012

EL's Spellbound. I Know That Smell!


   I was in a store the other day and a lady walked by wearing Estee Lauder's Spellbound. Thought I'd share my opinion of this particular fragrance. Warning: Its not a positive one.
   "Oooh, you just HAVE to try Spellbound! I know its a little sweet for your tastes, but its sooooo gorgeous!"  This is what I was told by a couple of folks I know. So on my next excursion to the local mall, I exited through the Dillard's store. Spritzing on one shot of Spellbound on the way. Took me approximately three seconds to realize I'd made a bad choice. A VERY bad choice! By the time I made it out to my automobile I also realized that I recognized it. I knew that tooth enamel curdling scent from somewhere. But where? "What is that smell? My brain was yelling at me! This has a few more notes mixed in there,but other than that its almost identical to........ WHAT???"  After ten minutes of sitting in my vehicle (with all the windows down, of course) it hit me!   ORIENTAL WOODS!!! THATS IT!!  Oh my God, that was one of those super condensed, astoundingly potent potpourri oils I used to get. Way back in the early 80's, heck maybe even the 70's, when everyone had bowls and baskets of dried plant and fruit matter sitting around their homes. We'd buy those little bottles of oil to "refresh and revitalize" the bone dry concoctions. Some of them were SO VILE!!
   Good grief. Some Estee Lauder employee took the potpourri oil and had it converted into a perfume. That was a dastardly deed! Sad part is, I used to put a drop of the oil into either jojoba or grapeseed oil and wear a little as a fragrance. And it smelled a LOT BETTER!!!
   *Found my old bottle! The scent has weakened a lot over the years, but I can still smell the connection.

   Blossom here. I remember when Mama came home wearing that. Good God! I thought I'd faint. The cats ran for the back room and hid in the fabric on the shelves by the sewing machine, and Aunt Rory headed into the depths of her crate and curled up really tight back in the shadows. She may have lost her hearing, but NOT her sense of smell!

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment