Friday, October 11, 2013

Did I Mention that I Love Incense?!


   Well, when I've had the time I've been on a bit of an incense high lately. I went ahead and ordered from that catholic supply catalog I mentioned. Two pounds of frankincense and a pound each of  Adoration and Mylapore.  
   The frankincense is lovely, as always! The first blend is described as "Cassia enhanced with a hint of cinnamon, ingredients in the oil of unction (Kyphi)." Its ok, can't say I'm overly impressed with it. Will stick to the Kyphi that I purchase elsewhere.
   The second blend I haven't had a chance to try... keep getting sidetracked somehow. Its described as "beautiful scent of  rosewood and Frankincense that comes to us from India is reminiscent of the ministry of St Thomas the Apostle."   I'm not sure what that has to do with this fragrance, but I'll be consulting with a friend who is my go-to to find out about "all things Catholic". hahaha   She has SO MUCH patience with me!
    Anyway, I've been on a frankincense binge....  and loving every minute of it! Years ago I used to sell smudge herbs and resins at Moon ceremonies and the occasional Native gatherings. I carried a variety of incenses and essential oils. I'd be sitting up late at night at my kitchen table with my old fashioned scales weighing out benzoin, patchouli leaf, myrrh, copal, sage, TONS of lavender and so much else! Sorting through smudge sticks and sweetgrass braids. It was wonderful! Then in 1994 it ground to a halt when I developed sensitivities to all the beautiful fragrances that I loved so much. Oh well, 17 years of not being able to surround myself with them just makes me appreciate them more!
    Sad to say, a lot of my old contacts aren't in business any longer. But that doesn't mean there is a shortage of such places. Just one glance at internet listings and I see that the whole world is there within reach. Can hardly wait to start trying some of the Arabian perfumes and such. What an adventure... revisiting some old favorites and trying new things!  I am reawakening my "good scents" and LOVING IT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment