Thursday, October 24, 2013

Histoire d'Amour.... my precioussss!


   Finally, I managed to take a half way decent photo of one of my favorite fragrances!  Histoire d'Amour by Aubusson.  In another post I complained about how it had been reformulated. That alteration should have been considered a criminal act and someone should be doing jail time for it.  At least that's my opinion.   I've been reading through reviews and there are people out there that like and appreciate the newest version.  I'm obviously NOT one of them. hahaha
    I have a real soft spot for woody chypres and this is one of the best. I find it to be an enchanting scent. The top notes are a bit "zingy" and lots of fun. The basil note in this is just perfection!!! The base notes come in very early and create a solid foundation for the evolution of the fragrance as a whole.  The florals are a joy to experience. A bit old fashioned, but gloriously so! The galbanum and ylang ylang melt together to create a resinous incense note that seeps into the olfactory pores of all the other flowers in this delightful composition. I just can't sing its praises enough!
   Guess you can tell when I REALLY like something! chuckle 
   Anyway, I should have added a third bottle to the photo above. The newest version is extremely pale! (The box design has stayed the same on the front. But on the back it will say made in the USA.... not France. You've been warned.)  The bottle on the left is the formulation before the last one. Its wonderful. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing it today. LOVE it! The bottle on the right is one that I bought online this week. I was simply trying to get in some back-up. Imagine my delight when I unwrapped the package and was left holding a bottle from the 80s! AND the juice turned out to be pristine!!! I kid you not, I wanted to weep with joy. It seems the further back you go in Histoire d'Amour's production, the better it gets
   As you can see, the glass bottle has a matte finish and the cap is made of a much better quality plastic then the more modern versions. I cannot fathom why they went with the plastic cap.   I really like the overall design. Someone described it as being Victorian in appearance. I'll agree with that, just wish they'd done the whole thing in glass... like they did with the parfum version. Note: The parfum is magnificently smoky!
    Oh! where is my brain this week? I should have taken a photo of that presentation too. Oh well, will have to add that later. In the mean time, keep an eye open for this under appreciated jewel of a perfume. And give it a try. (For me it has the extra benefit of helping with spirit communication and creativity. Plus the happiness factor. You can bet I'll try to always have a bottle of this around!)
     


Histoire d'Amour   by Aubusson     Woody Chypre   1984

Notes (according to various internet sources)
  Top: Mandarin orange, Osmanthus, Basil, Bergamot
  Heart: Orange blossom, Galbanum, Jasmine, Ylang ylang, Rose, Narcissus
  Base: Patchouli, Musk, Oakmoss

No comments:

Post a Comment