Thursday, December 5, 2013

Fragrant Silk....

Straight from the thrift shop. So light and ethereal.

   I just love bopping over to the Hospice thrift shop down at the corner. Its a change of scenery and pace. Occasionally I find absolutely nothing...... other times I hit the motherload!  It really doesn't matter because the important part is the treasure hunt.  But every once in a while I come across something that truly intrigues me. Today it was a scarf. It wasn't a color I'd normally be drawn to. The design is nice enough, but nothing of special interest. Soft silk... that's a plus in my mind, not a definite reason for purchasing.  
   This one just had a "feel" about it. As I ran it through and over my hands and forearms I got the mental image of a woman. Small to medium height and built. Dressed in a very classic and stylish manner. Tailored dress, heels (sensible heels, mind you!), perfectly coiffed hair, simple and elegant gold jewelry, purse on her arm and this scarf around her neck. A breeze is blowing gently as she walks through a European style plaza. Theres salt water nearby, I can smell it in the air. A Mediterranean vacation perhaps?  Nice lady, I like her. Has a warm and kind vibe around her.   I wonder if she donated this or if her family did. I can't get a clear I impression about it. Seems I've all ready got an emotional investment in this gal! She had such a loving heart.     (Hmm, that just came out in the past tense. Maybe that answers my query.)
    Anyway, at some point I realized I was smelling just the faintest hint of perfume. And a lovely one at that! Oh my, its the scarf. She had good taste in fragrance as well. It has a Chanel vibe to it. Oh, by the skirts of the Great Mother!!! I do believe its vintage COCO!   hahaha   No wonder I like this lady so much! A kindred soul! 
   I keep sniffing and I think that there may be another perfume as well. Over time they have blended into the silk fibers. I get an image of scarves folded neatly and layered in a dresser drawer. What a magnificent fragrance it creates! 
   Yes, this is one of those intimate little vignettes in life that I cherish. I may not know the name of the woman who wore this scarf, but I've been graced with sharing just a moment of a memory of her..... and its been a very comforting feeling. Its like reaching out delicately into the Universe and feeling someone else's fingertips gently touch mine.   A reassurance that these physical bodies of ours are only fleeting, but our true Self lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment