Saturday, June 14, 2014

When Atomizers Attack!!!

Looks benign enough, doesn't it?

    The afternoon started out innocently enough. A highly anticipated package arrived in the mail. My bottle of Ma Griffe   parfum de toilette. The perfume box was in pretty rough shape, it had obviously not been treated kindly. The bottle seemed fine. The cap offered a bit of resistance to being removed. I noticed a little "sticky" residue along the sides of the bottle, but didn't really pay much attention to it.    Wish I had. Perhaps I would have proceeded with more caution.  That would have been a good thing.........
     So, per my usual actions, I went to spray a little bit in the air so I could wave the back of my hand through the mist. I've found that to be a safe and sane way to test a perfume when I first receive it, especially one that has some age to it and/or has been used.      Unfortunately, my technique wasn't exactly "safe" this time. In no form or fashion did I ever anticipate what happened when I depressed the spray nozzle. After a tiny sputter and spit..... that bottle took on a life of its own, and a possessed one at that! What force! What fury! Once it raged to life, it would NOT stop!   The spray of Ma Griffe reminded me of a small fire hose, blasting full force...   on my curtains, on the window, even the dogs, who had been resting peacefully at my feet.
    The cats, being CATS and obviously possessing a certain level of psychic premonition had quickly slipped away as soon as I unboxed my fragrant treasure.
    With PDT shooting forcefully across my kitchen table, dogs jumping up and trying to run for cover (remember, they're at MY FEET), I'm there trying to maintain my balance while fumbling with the nozzle until in desperation I simply ripped it off the bottle!   In retrospect I should have done that immediately after this chaos began.... but I was in a state of shock and, yes, awe! And as they say, hindsight is 20/20. 
   So, there I was, hands dripping with Ma Griffe. Decided to rub as much as possible onto the all ready wet curtains. At least my kitchen smells freaking AWESOME!  And hey, I now know why the bottle was sticky feeling!!!
    Now there is a lesson to be learned here! No matter how excited I get about a new acquisition, you can bet that from now on I'll examine it very closely! Especially if it has any sticky perfume residue on the bottle or cap!!! AND from now on, that first spray......... that will be done outside on my porch.


Here is the spray mechanism that caused all the trouble! ........ look at the width of that perfume stem. Hmm, another point to remember to check on older bottles.

 
  
 All this and I've neglected to give any information on the actually fragrance! hahaha  
   Ma Griffe is one of my favorites. And while I didn't really get a chance to enjoy this perfume due to my rather "rattled" state of mind after all that, ah, excitement. I did go through the rest of the day smelling absolutely divine!! (And the kitchen STILL smells wonderful.)   Will do my review a little later.

ma griffe   by Carven   Jean Carles   Chypre Floral  1946

Notes (according to various internet sources)
   Top: Aldehydes, Gardenia, Green notes, Asafoetida, Clary sage, Lemon.
    Heart: Iris, Orange blossom, Orris root, Jasmine, Ylang ylang, Lily of the Valley, Rose.
   Base: Labdanum, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Cinnamon, Musk, Benzoin, Vetiver, Styrax




No comments:

Post a Comment